Communication Matters Road Shows provide an overview and an update of specialised communication aid technology for use by people with severe speech and communication impairment and writing difficulties. Road Shows are held throughout the year in UK and Ireland.
The Communication Matters Road Show is a valuable opportunity to learn about communication aid technology ‘straight from the horse’s mouth’. A number of the UK’s leading suppliers of adaptive devices, voice output communication aids and signing systems will demonstrate and provide ‘mini-master classes’ on their latest products and services. There will be opportunities for questions and hands-on trial of systems, and lots of valuable handouts and literature to pick up.
Each Road Show has a full day’s programme – delegates will attend five workshop sessions in which the companies will present and demonstrate devices such as:
- Light Tech (e.g. Big Mack, Talking Buddy Buttons, Step-by-step communicators)
- Mini speech output (e.g. Allora, adVOCate, GoTalk, LEO, PortaCom, VocaFlex)
- Speech output (e.g. Dynamo, DynaVox V/V Max, DynaWrite, Liberator-14, FuturePad, LEO, Lightwriter, Say-it Sam, SM1, MightyMo, MiniMo, Motion Tablet, Pathfinder, Springboard, Tellus 3 & Mobi, Vanguard, Vantage)
- Communication software (e.g. Boardmaker, Communicate series, Day Planner, Eurovocs suite, EZ Keys, Grid & Grid Mobile, Memory Message, Mind Express, PCS & Widgit symbol libraries)
- Vocabularies (e.g. CALLtalk, ExpressTalk, Ingfield Express, Picture Wordpower, Wordpower)
- Signing (e.g Signalong, Makaton)
- Eye Gaze (e.g My Tobii)
- Other devices (e.g. environmental controllers, switches, amplifiers) and more…
If you are interested in seeing a particular device, piece of software, vocabulary or signing system, please ring the telephone number below to make sure it will be presented on the day. You must book a place in advance online or by telephone and all Road Shows are free of charge, unless otherwise stated.
Who is the Road Show for?
- People new to the field of Augmentative and Alternative Communication and voice output technology
- Professionals specialising in this field who want to update their knowledge – technology changes fast!
- Everyone with an interest in communication technology
Anyone who works with children or adults with severe speech, language or communication difficulties and are in need of some special support with communication
Who will be presenting?
The presenters will be representatives from various companies that manufacture or supply voice output communication aids, including the following (attending all venues unless otherwise noted):
- Chatting Independently (attending Oxford & Manchester only)
- DynaVox Systems
- Inclusive Technology (not attending Llanelli)
- Signalong (not attending Belfast)
- SmartBox / Sensory
- Software International
- The Makaton Charity (not attending Belfast)
- Toby Churchill
- Widgit Software
All Road Shows will start at 9.25am and finish at 3.25pm (registration 9.00-9.25am), unless otherwise stated. There are 5 sessions during the day. In each session, all the companies present parallel workshops and participants can choose to attend any workshop. Each workshop is repeated in each session throughout the day.
How do I book a place?
To reserve a place, please complete the online booking form. Alternatively, you can email Communication Matters or ring 0845 456 8211, giving your name, full address with postcode and contact telephone number. You will receive an acknowledgement of your booking.