- share books about birthdays / parties (including the Usborne First Experiences: Going to a Party)
- use a calendar to count down the days until the birthday / party
- practice unwrapping presents to teach both the anticipation of 'what is in the present' and the skills needed to tear the paper
- practice blowing out candles and singing happy birthday
- think about your child's needs and difficulties when planning a birthday treat, you want them to enjoy it!
- let your child 'help' with the preparations