Activity ~ 3-D squeezey chalk
- 1/2 cup of cornflour
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 cup of water
- food colouring
- ziplock bag
- Mix the flour and cornflour together.
- Add water and 3-5 drops of food colouring
- Add the glitter.
- Mix until it looks like paste.
- Pour mixture into the Ziplock bag and seal.
- Cut a small hole in the corner of the Ziplock bag and squeeze the chalk out to make patterns / write words / draw pictures.
- sheets of paper
- different coloured paints
- string 40cm or longer
- old newspaper
- Lay a sheet of paper onto a newspaper covered table top
- Dip the string into some paint until it's covered.
- Place the string in an interesting shape on top of the paper.
- Make sure small part of the string is off the sheet of paper.
- Carefully put on a second sheet on top of the string.
- Parent: hold the sheets paper together.
- Child: hold string and gently pull it out from between the paper.
- Remove the top sheet of paper and you will see a pattern.
- Try another colour and repeat.
Play-activities is a free and fun educational e-mail for parents of children under 5. It is run by Melitsa Avila who is a qualified teacher. Melitsa wanted to create a source of activities for parents and children to enjoy, which offered a balance of gross and fine motor activities, social & personal activities, and problem-solving and language activities all in one easily accessible place. If you sign up you can gain access to a wide range of activities to help your child develop a balanced play life, have fun, and enjoy a good mix of the early childhood skills identified by child health professionals. They also have a blog with lots of other ideas and links to other sources of ideas to keep your children busy!