The school summer holidays are here but the weather is being far from summery, here are our top 10 things to do on a not so sunny summers day.
- Build a den – use dining chairs / clothes airer and blankets to make a cosy tent, add cushions or duvet to snuggle inside.
- Play with playdoh – roll it, squash it, cut it, shape it; you are only limited by your imagination!
- Have a treasure hunt – hide some treasure and make up some clues to it’s location; younger children can follow picture clues (either of the location or something you find there) and older children can have fun guessing the answer to cryptic clues, questions or solving anagrams.
- Turn your living room into a cinema – make some popcorn, pull the curtains and put on a favourite video or DVD; if you want to really get into the role play make yourselves some tickets too!
- Do some cooking – check out Pinkfairycake’s blog for information about cooking with children.
- Go on a puddle jumping walk – make the most of the rain! Dress up in waterproofs and wellies, take your umbrella and have a splashy walk; who can find the biggest puddle?
- Play turn taking games – our favourites are Shopping List and Cock-a-doodle Moo.
- Get out the craft box – cutting, sticking, drawing and colouring are great for developing fine motor skills.
- Have a disco - put on your favourite music and dance!
- Share a book - we like spotting things in our copy of Everyday Words.
Let us know what you are up to, so we can all fill these wet days.